"Not all those who wander are lost"-J.R.R. Tolkien

Saturday 6 August 2011

The Wonders of Schiphol Airport

If you ever have an obscenely long layover, I highly suggest arranging to spend it at Amsterdam's Schiphol Airport. I only had 3 hours there, during which I noted many of the following opportunities:

1) Aqua Massage- Submerge your body in a plastic bag and get pummeled by water jets, 1 euro per minute for a max of 5 minutes (wonder if that maximum is there for safety reasons....)

2) Curl up in a huge leather chair by an electronic fireplace and read a book

3) Take a nap in the reclining chair section

4) Learn about Dutch culture in the museum or borrow a book from the library

5) Relive your childhood by running around in the children's forest

6) Shop! Anything and everything from Victoria's Secret and MAC to electronic stores and tulip centres. The huge duty-frees are a given.

7) Eat and Drink! Cheese shops, bakeries, chocolate boutiques, a sushi bar, juice bar, espresso bar, house of bols speciality bar...let's just say I arrived at 7 am and many people were enjoying a lovely glass of wine

8) Tours- So many tours that you could arrange to take into Amsterdam while you waited for your next flight, cruises/buses/trains

Unforturnately on my way back I only have about a 1 hour stay so I will try to pack in as much as possible!

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you're on your way!! Insanity! Hope you had fun in Schiphol- I personally think those water massages sounded pretty wonderful ;) I'd imagine you've landed in Africa by this time- I'm so excited for you! I can't wait to read your updates on here- I'll be sure to check back regularly! LOVE xoxoxoxoxxo

    ReplyDelete